Hi friends! Today I’m super excited to share with you my square for the Tunisian Sampler Blanket CAL, hosted by Knitter Knotter. If you don’t know about this CAL already, it’s definitely one all Tunisian Crochet lovers should check out! The CAL consists of 24 free Tunisian Squares that you will seam together at the end of the CAL to make your own sampler blanket. Check out the amazing designer list below.
- Abbey from AbbeyMade
- Ashley from Montana Crochet
- ChiWei from 1dogwoof
- Elisabeth Desamour from Desamour Designs
- Elisa from Strings and Cuddles
- Emily from Hooked Hazel
- Hayley Joanne Robinson
- Janine from Capital Crochet
- Jess from Make And Do Crew
- Kayla from Kay Krochets
- Kelsie from Crafting For Weeks
- Lori from Aklori Designs
- Morine from Morine’s Shop
- Natalie from Detroit Knots
- Noorain Nizami from Noor’s Knits
- Padma from Padma R Designs
- Rachel from Rachel Henri Designs
- Raffaella from Raffamusa Designs
- Silke Reibeling from Haekelreigen
- Tahryn from Burgundy and Blush
- Tamara from Moogly
- Toni from TLYarnCrafts
- Vashti from Designing Vashti
- Stephanie from By Stephanie Erin
After you check out the Tunisian Sampler CAL, make sure to check out all the other free patterns and tutorials Arunima has available on her blog!
For this square, I used my favorite WeCrochet worsted weight acrylic – Brava! I use Brava for a ton of projects. In fact, the two colors I used for this square were leftover from my Barn Quilt Blanket! It’s such a squishy acrylic, and super budget friendly. You’re going to love it!
In addition to yarn, you will need a Tunisian crochet hook, whatever size needed to meet gauge. I used a 6.5mm Radiant Wood Hook from WeCrochet (part of an interchangeable set), but I know some of my testers used an 8mm. You may also wish to block your square after you fasten off, so make sure you have adequate blocking supplies as well.
I would rate this pattern as intermediate difficulty. You will alternate colors, create bobble stitches, and use crossed stitches. Don’t be intimidated though – all the steps are clearly explained!
WeCrochet Brava, or similar worsted weight yarn, two colors, 70 yards each, total 140 yards.
8 mm tunisian crochet hook, or size needed to meet gauge.
8 sts x 6 rows of crossed tss = 2”
ch – chain
st(s) – stitch(es)
sl st – slip stitch
tss – tunisian simple stitch
bo – bobble
FwP – forward pass
RetP – return pass
C1 – color 1
C2 – color 2
yo – yarn over
- Square is made with two colors.
- Switch colors by completing the last yo, pull through loops on your RetP with your new color.
- Colors are indicated by C1 and C2, in sample the C1 is grey and C2 is copper.
- You do not need to cut each color at the end of a row, just carry up the back of your work.
- All RetP are worked as ch 1, (yo, pull through the next 2 loops) until only one loop remains on the hook.
- You may need to push bobbles to the front of your work.
Bobble: (Yo, insert hook into next stitch as for Tunisian knit stitch, pull up a loop, yo, pull through next 2 loops on hook) 5 times, yarn over, pull through next 5 loops on hook.
Crossed tss: Skip 1st st, *insert hook into 2nd vertical thread, pull up a loop, insert hook into prev st and pull up a loop; one set of crossed tss made. Find a tutorial here.
End st: Insert hook into ch 1 of previous row, pull up a loop.
With C1, ch 46.
Row 1 C1: Pull up a loop in the back bump of the 2nd ch from hook and each remaining ch, RetP.
Row 2 C2: Crossed tss across, end st, RetP.
Row 3 C1: Crossed tss across, end st, RetP.
Rows 4 – 7: Repeat rows 2 – 3.
Row 8 C2: Repeat row 2.
Row 9 C1: Crossed tss in first 6 sts, *bo, tss, crossed tss in next 4 sts*, repeat from * to * 5 more times, crossed tss in next 2 sts, end st, RetP.
Row 10 C2: Crossed tss across, end st, RetP.
Row 11 C1: Crossed tss across, end st, RetP.
Rows 12 – 17: Repeat rows 10 – 11.
Row 18 C2: Crossed tss in first 6 sts, *bo, tss, crossed tss in next 4 sts*, repeat from * to * 5 more times, crossed tss in next 2 sts, end st, RetP.
Row 19 C1: Crossed tss across, end st, RetP.
Row 20 C2: Crossed tss across, end st, RetP.
Rows 21 – 26: Repeat rows 10 – 11.
Row 27 C1: Crossed tss in first 6 sts, *bo, tss, crossed tss in next 4 sts*, repeat from * to * 5 more times, crossed tss in next 2 sts, end st, RetP.
Row 28 C2: Crossed tss across, end st, RetP.
Row 29 C1: Crossed tss across, end st, RetP.
Rows 30 – 35: Repeat rows 28 – 29.
Row 36 C1: Sl st bind off.
Weave in all ends, and block square using your preferred method to 12” x 12”. You may add a single crochet border if desired.